Our client is a leading facilities management company with over 100,000 employees globally
As is typical in the facilities management industry, our client needed to demonstrate a year on year reduction in cost while improving levels of service, or risk losing client contracts.
Identifying the opportunity
Each FM account is unique, so we analysed a large number to identify specific opportunities for efficiency improvements.
Examples of challenges we found:
- Cleaning 5,000 retail facilities each day. Our client had a short time window in which to work and the banks were spread all around the UK.
- Servicing smaller clients. The service demand was low, but they still required the full suite of services; this was proving difficult to operate efficiently.
- Rapid response. High-rise buildings need rapid response to issues which was costly.
- Planned and reactive maintenance. Static and mobile engineers who respond to issues or carry out planned works were working inefficiently.
The Resultancy Approach
We got everyone’s buy in and cooperation from senior management downwards and then made sure we kept the right people informed of our progress.
Used lean methodology
We analysed how the business was operating and identified waste within the system.
Used the right tools
We used tools such as process mapping, shadowing exercises and customer and staff satisfaction surveys.
Interviewed the right people
We interviewed management, reviewed organisational structures and analysed maintenance work orders.
Looked at the way contracts were set up
We also analysed purchasing strategies and found ways to improve cash flow.
In keeping with our lean principles, we also ensured non-value add and over-formalised processes were avoided.
- Cost savings achieved of £2.5 million annually
- Improved customer service levels due to better processes
- Rise in staff satisfaction levels due to resolution of key staff issues
- Security and statutory compliance improved due to robust auditing schedule
“Your team has identified significant cost savings and has given us some real insight into how we can operate more efficiently … this has been a great exercise and will help us in our next tender submission.”
– Operations Director – Cleaning Account