Limited capacity required Result’s expertise.
In 2012, Zurich changed its security model by building a new passenger screening area between terminals 1 & 2. The new facility was designed to last until 2020, however it ran out of capacity sooner than expected. Installing new search lanes wasn’t really an option due to infrastructure constraints. To expand its options, ‘Result’ was engaged to help improve efficiency including throughput and to provide another set of more efficient options.
The Resultancy Modelling Simulation Approach
We followed our proven model for process improvement, and applied the correct tools throughout the project.
Mapped the process
We mapped the security layout and process in detail.
Measured the process
We gathered data on every process step using detailed data sheets with assistance from airport and security staff.
Undertook simulation modelling
We fed the data into our unique simulation model and identified the true bottlenecks. This enabled us to identify how the bottleneck would change as we improved each process stage.
Using guidance from simulation modelling, we ran trials on security lanes and compared them to the current way of working.
Reported on findings and roadmap to delivery
We consolidated simulation modelling, trial results and bottleneck analysis findings and developed a roadmap to improvement.
- Pilot trials delivered an average improvement in passenger of 38% increase in throughput
- $4M in annualised opex reduction to run the lanes through efficiency improvement
- Passenger surveys conducted showed improved passenger perception of the revised process
- Staff workload increased as a result of increased throughput, which required careful management
- Result also identified that improved planning & rostering of staff leading to savings of c.$2-3 Million
“…. Thanks to the broad, long standing and profound experience of you Andy and your team in the field of optimizing security checkpoints, the situation at our checkpoint was thoroughly analyzed, and the proposed solutions are both easy to implement as well as sustainable and will reach the pre-defined goals. Even so our contract comes to an end, the foreseen goals were achieved, so if it seems adequate for us we would count on your expertise and Result again anytime.”
– Stefan Conrad, Chief Operating Officer, Zurich Airport